Pages

Friday 18 March 2011

Infanticide

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-12762434

Medea related article which could also be related to equality issues.

Infanticide case, where the father ended up killing one of HIS children. The language used is very interesting and the fact that at no point does it even suggest motives or mental instability. (Although it could be argued that this is good and there is no excuse for someone doing something society would consider wrong, then again perhaps we would rather not humanise such as 'monster' as it makes us confront the fact that we all have the capability/ possibility of doing such a thing when put under such circumstances?)

(N.B. I am not in any way supporting infanticide, but neither do I want to categorically call it WRONG as if it is an imperative fact, as I find it poor academic practice to assume our society is 'right' or that there is one 'right', rather than many perspectives.)

I think after the A-Z of protests book I'm going to write something about the unequal treatment of men in the media, or just in general! (On a side not if I do publish such a book it would be interesting to see if readers automatically assume 'Dominique' is a French male)

BTW you all have to buy my books and reference them in your own works :)

No comments:

Post a Comment